Three words. Meat Crust Frittata. Here are a few of the many positive attributes to this tasty treat.
- Versatile – You can make a variety of different versions. Packed with all your favorite macro and micro nutrients. Add practically any combination of your favorite vegetables to make it a nutrient dense, flavor explosion with every bite.
- Portable – Individually wrap each one for a quick grab n’ go. Great as a backup plan for when you don’t have time to prepare a meal. They’re right there, waiting to be unwrapped and eaten.
- Delicious – So delicious, you’ll easily mistake this nutritious mini-meal for a bite sized snack.
Here’s a version I made that came out both savory and sweet.
Meat Crust Frittata w/herb roasted potatoes
3 tbsp. coconut oil
1lb. 100% Grass Fed Ground Beef from Organic Pastures. – Don’t forget, this location is only open every Saturday from 10:00am – 2:00pm. $5.25/lb.
1 large sweet potato (peeled/small dice)
1 large yam (peeled/small dice)
1 large yellow onion (small dice)
Handful of spinach
8 whole eggs
Fresh thyme (finely chopped)
Fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
Yields 12 Frittatas
Pre-heat the oven for 400 degrees
- Place the diced potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Throw in some coconut oil, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs. Toss it around so all the herbs are evenly distributed on the potatoes. Spread them out on a flat baking sheet pan and bake for about 20 min. or just until brown.
- Flatten out 12 mini patties of beef at about 2oz. each. Season with salt and pepper on each side. Form them into the muffin spaces in a muffin tin. Make sure to form a lip around the edge because it will shrink! You can see that I did NOT do that in the picture above, so be sure and make that lip so that it goes beyond the level of the muffin tin.
- Crack 8 eggs into your mixing bowl and scramble em up nice n good.
- Saute your onions and spinach in a frying pan. Transfer the sauteed onions, spinach, and roasted potatoes into your mixing bowl.
- Pour your egg mixture into each “meat cup” and bake until brown (about 20min.).
- Let it cool, then individually wrap each one and store in the fridge.
This particular lift from Tracey is so efficient that her hair blows back!
Karl locking out overhead as he pays tribute to ‘Tom’.
Coaches gotta workout too!
Don’t call it a comeback!
Skill: Cluster (squat clean to thruster)
5 Rounds for time of:
5 Clusters (Squat clean to thruster) – (135# for Men/93# for Women)
10 chest to bar pull ups
Beginner Skill: Thruster
Beginner WOD (Workout of the Day):
5 dumbbell hang clean to thruster
10 pull ups