“World Class Fitness in 100 Words”
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports. ~Greg Glassman
That’s CrossFit in 100 words. Today I’d like to focus on the part that says “regularly learn and play new sports”. CrossFit is awesome and it can create amazing results for you. However, you need to mix it up and have fun with other things in life, even if you’re doing it with other CrossFit friends. So I’d like to encourage you to try out new adventures in addition to CrossFit.
The Whole Life Challenge is in full force and one of the things that we need to get points is at least 10 minutes of working out. Not every workout has to be super high intensity that leaves you practically breathless on the floor. So what are some ways in which you can get a good workout, get your heart rate going, and have fun without needing to come into the box? Here are 5 activities you can do, in addition to CrossFit:
1) Jog/walk the at the Rose Bowl – It’s a 3 mile loop that if you just walk at a normal pace, it takes about one hour to complete. It’s always full of people running and biking. Wear your CrossFit Merge t-shirt and strike up a conversation with somebody new. Or maybe invite your significant other to join you. Bring your dog! Get in a fun conversation, some sun and fresh air, in addition to a great workout!
2) Take a dance class – Have it be salsa or tango or swing, get your booty rockin’! It’s an absolute blast, it gets your heart rate going, and it might be a good excuse to ask that cute guy (or gal) out. 😉
3) Bring out the wheels – Go down to the Boardwalk in Venice and rollerblade down the beach. Or maybe ride your bike. Make it out to Muscle Beach and do a WOD with the bodybuilders 🙂 Get a tan while you’re at it 😉
4) Take a rowing class – This is an absolute blast! Get out in the water, and experience what we experience on the rowing machines, for real. You’ll hear the instructors tell you “Legs arms, arms legs” over and over…but it’s nice to smell the fresh ocean breeze and feel the sun on your skin.
5) Moonlight Rollerway – Bust out the knee pads and get in an hour of roller skating! It can be so much fun. And the DJ takes song requests!
What are some ways in which you get in your workout of the day when you don’t come into the box? Post your ideas in the comments section and share with us!
Review Workout movements of:
Kipping for toes to bar and Sumo deadlift high pull
7 min AMRAP of:
7 ring dips or hand release push-ups
7 kettlebell swings (70# for men/44# for women)
5 minutes rest
7 min AMRAP of:
7 toes to bar or v-ups
7 sumo deadlift high pulls (70# for men/44# for women – kettlebell)